I’m writing a post that looks at the relationship of Barbara and Dick. And I have some thoughts. But I don’t think they are going to be too popular. So tell me why you ship them. What makes them a good, hot couple?
I don’t think I’m going to have enough room to answer in the quote box.
SO here we go.
I don’t think they have a love/hate thing going on at all. I do think they have sexual chemistry and compatibility. And yes, they bicker and disagree on things from time to time. But that’s not unlike real couples!
Now, I’m ignoring the Nightwing Annual #2 and I’m focusing on appearances of them in Nightwing, Batman: False Faces, Joker: Last Laugh, Batgirl (Cassandra and Stephanie’s runs), Batgirl: Year One, Birds of Prey and Gotham Knights.
A friend of mine and I talked a lot about what makes for a good couple. And yes, there’s sex. But does that necessarily make for a lasting couple? I once interviewed a couple who had been together for 65 years. Yeah. 65 years, I’m not even kidding. And I asked them the question everyone wants to know: what made them last?
And they said, basically, communication, consideration and support. And I think that Dick and Babs very much have that! They definitely support and communicate to one another, and in terms of consideration, they can be a bit shaky on that ground sometimes (ie. Dick initially telling Babs to get her “crap” out of the Batcave wasn’t very considerate of the fact that that she was trying to do for Stephanie what he was doing for Damian. He then apologized and admitted as such), but they do come around, not unlike real life couples.
Real life couples who have been together for a long time aren’t always like omgmusthavesexrightthissecondlet’sbang! Yes, there’s sexual chemistry, but sometimes it’s just like Oh hey the Shining is on. ;D (haha true story) Or … we should watch some porn. *grin* Or … Let’s take a shower!
Here’s some of that from these scans (some of which are, unfortunately from that Nightwing Annual I said I was going to ignore, but they are cute)
Here’s a fave bit:
Anyways, I love them because they’re more true to real life. And now I have to finish my homework :(
- softnerd likes this
- fenrirslittlesister likes this
- siriusly-mark likes this
- redlacedbird reblogged this from georgethecat and added:
- redlacedbird likes this
- jufuao likes this
- taterpie answered: That’s pretty much how I feel. I always felt like Babs was trying to CHANGE Dick into a ‘better man’. Mostly through the vehicle of guilt.
- shobogan reblogged this from dcwomenkickingass and added:
- lush-in-denial likes this
- naomy likes this
- helian-thus answered: LOL I wish Dick/Babs was always like you described it! and yeah, I agree their strongest point is that they confront each other a lot
- helian-thus likes this
- aleksandersamuel answered: They are both the best at what they do. Babs is the only woman who can truly stand up to Dick, because she is his only true equal.
- sobuttery likes this
- chiriru likes this
- mondereplay likes this
- luchtherder likes this
- michaelandthegodsquad reblogged this from thosenerdyfeels
- fannybawws reblogged this from georgethecat and added:
- taste-with-your-fingers answered: More than Starfire, Oracle can match wits with Dick. She’s his intellectual equal, if not his better.
- ericaspring likes this
- swatkat reblogged this from thosenerdyfeels and added:
- lucasisageek answered: For me it’s the first loves making it through thing. They also compliment each other so well, & make each other better people AND heroes.
- dratij answered: They are good foils for each other in that they are both strong personalities that try to bring out the best each another. They can call crap
- thats-what-sidhe-said likes this
- radiofishface likes this
- sistermagpie reblogged this from dcwomenkickingass and added:
- mizzelle likes this
- bludhavenbird likes this
- feminist-phoenix likes this
- thosenerdyfeels reblogged this from georgethecat
- scarletsunshine likes this
- theadlerwoman reblogged this from georgethecat
- fyeahdickgrayson likes this
- captainchinhands answered: Because they understand and accept each other; they know exactly what they’ve been through. Also,they are wonderfully looking and awesome.
- charmingpplincardigans likes this
- fyeahdickgrayson answered: Most importantly, they’re best friends first. It’s the foundation of their relationship (and sexual attraction, history, similar goals, etc)
- georgethecat reblogged this from dcwomenkickingass and added:
- garethgraves answered: I like them together, they’re great. But I LOVE the Kory/Dick stuff. being with her REALLY shows how much like Bruce he’s not.
- thesilvershiver answered: They have a past together, and a common ally in Bruce Wayne. I think ultimately, they belong together because of everything that they share
- naomy answered: What makes them good is there overall friendship and care they have for each other. They’re very different but so alike at the same time
- lizlucretiamedici answered: there is something sweet about their relationship especially after Babs gets hurt. When they are together its somehow perfect!
- scarletsunshine answered: They have so much history together. They know and understand each other so well, they have so much potential.
- theadlerwoman likes this
- valerie-renee answered: I’m 50/50 on them—when I see panels like what fyeahb.g. is posting now, they seem so natural. But her angst over him is repulsive & childish
- tomasocelot answered: THEY HAVE THE LOVE HATE THING GOING ON
- jamesgf said: I don’t think they are good couple. I was horrified that Mark Andreyko, of all writers, wrote that Nightwing annual - It not only made Dick into an asshole, but also relegated Kory to a meaningless fling. IMHO, Barbara and Dick feel way too forced.